OT: different displaying of a DDS image in explorer and "directX texture tool". Why ?
2018-03-20 19:28:29 UTC
Hello All,

I've got a few *.DDS images here (DX5 type, diffuse style), and noticed that
when I view them in (the "tile" mode of) explorer they look as expected, but
when I than look at them with DxTex ("microsoft directx texture tool" from a
DX9 SDK install) the image looks rather different, with the whole image
appearing rather transparent, and some parts of it fully disappearing.

Does anyone here recognise the effect and knows what causes it ? I would
like to use the images in OpenGL (where the same effect causes the images to
become rather unusable).

2018-03-21 07:06:34 UTC
Post by R.Wieser
I've got a few *.DDS images here (DX5 type, diffuse style), and noticed
that when I view them in (the "tile" mode of) explorer they look as
expected, but when I than look at them with DxTex ("microsoft directx
texture tool" from a DX9 SDK install) the image looks rather different,
with the whole image appearing rather transparent, and some parts of it
fully disappearing.
Although I thought it could have something to do with a mis-ordering of
bytes (ARGB vs RGBA) it looks like the whole problem is the alpha channel.
When I removed it (leaving just RGB) the displayed texture looks as
expected.

In short, it looks like that the alpha channel is used for something else
than transparency (a bit of googeling caused me to stumble over something
called "texture splatting").