Again : Mozilla NSS3.DLL (FireFox 52.x) API documentation sought
2018-04-12 11:25:29 UTC
Guys, I'm still looking for Mozilla NSS3.DLL (FireFox 52.x) API
documentation.

Yes, I can find certain function names (like CERT_VerifyCertificate) all
over the web. Alas, most often I see other functions on the same webpage
that are not part of the above DLL - meaning that the documentation or code
is aimed at a different DLL than the one I have, and as such unusable (just
swapping two arguments or changing the size of a structure would be enough
to cause a problem - and I already encountered both)

So, does anyone know where documentation to the DLL is made available and/or
which newsserver-and-group I could post questions about it in ? I'm
getting a bit sick-and-tired following leads that either fizzle out like in
the above, or having to keep guessing if what I found is actually applicable
to the DLL version I have.

Possible useful info: the DLL I have has October 7, 2017 (20171107) as its
build date, and 52.5.0 as its file & product version. The DLL version is
14.0 (the timestamp matches the file & product one).

JJ
2018-04-12 16:53:35 UTC
Post by R.Wieser
[...]
Can't blame you for the frustration. Most open source softwares tend to have
poor documentation. I have my share of frustration due to open source
softwares, too. So, I don't expect much from them. But it would be a bummer
if I have to deal with them.
R.Wieser
2018-04-15 19:19:41 UTC
JJ,
Most open source softwares tend to have poor documentation.
You might be right, but I expected a bit better from a big player like
FireFox (Mozilla?). And its not just the docs. It seems to be quite hard
to find the sourcecode itself too. At least, I've not encountered it (just
downloaded a "last version" from github, or at least it was the newest in
the list - turned out not to be as new as expected :-( )
I have my share of frustration due to open source softwares, too.
And you can put MS into that list too. Some major DLLs have decent
documentation. But others ? Not so much ... (tried to create a secure
socket the MS way. No MS docs to their own DLL, no sample code anywhere).
So, I don't expect much from them.
I had some hope this newsgroup would have a people around knowing where to
find some of the stuff I need. But alas, a hope to high it seems.