Sought: filetype icons for a programing environment
2018-08-20 08:42:48 UTC
Hello all,

I've got several files with no filetype icons of their own (just the generic
"text document" one). And although I've been looking for a while I've not
been able to find a good set of "programmers icons". (the reason I'm
calling them "programmers icons" is because they are files used or generated
by the programming language I'm using)

What I'm looking for is a set of icons which has the three-letter file
extension on a simple "document icon" (rectangle, top-right corner folded
in), with the extension-text overflowing to the left. Over the years I
found a few single ones, but never an extensive set.

I already have a set of icons which, very artistically, combine blocks,
lines, circles and even sprockets (extracted from a C/C++ programming
environment :-) ). But when you have a number of them on the same page -
with just different positioning and coloring - it becomes a bit hard to
recognise them apart. :-\

... the biggest problem ofcourse is that I need to have them in 16x16 (and
if possible 32x32) 16-color style (classic XP style).

The ones I currently really could use are:
.LIB
.INC
.IDL
.OBJ

as well as for a few intermediate files:
.LST
.MAP
.TLB

P.s.
If someone knows about a program (executable or sourcecode) which can
combine a random three-character combination with a generic document icon it
would even be better. Though with a minimal width of just 16 pixels I'm
not really sure if its possible to automate that ("WWW" will probably always
fail - too wide).
JJ
2018-08-20 23:58:41 UTC
Post by R.Wieser
P.s.
If someone knows about a program (executable or sourcecode) which can
combine a random three-character combination with a generic document icon it
would even be better. Though with a minimal width of just 16 pixels I'm
not really sure if its possible to automate that ("WWW" will probably always
fail - too wide).
With only a 16x16 space, I think you can fit 4 characters as 2 rows 2
columns text with a 5x5 font. e.g. for LIB file, it would be ".L" on the
first row, then "IB" on the second row. There would be enough space for an
icon border and space between the characters and the border.
R.Wieser
2018-08-21 10:08:20 UTC
JJ,
Post by JJ
With only a 16x16 space, I think you can fit 4 characters as 2
rows 2 columns text with a 5x5 font.
Assuming the width includes the character spacing a 5x5 font should, on a
16x16 icon, allow three chars next to each other ...

And now you say that I seem to remember having tried to draw my own icons
with a 5x5 ... 7 font, but it didn't quite look as good as as the ones I
downloaded (to be honest, it looked shite. :-( )

Currently I already have a few icons with three letters next to each other
("asm", "php" - I already sought for them online so I could point to an
example, but was not able to find them back). Using variable-width
characters a number of other combinations should be possible too.

But yes, although the readability would suffer as a result of putting it in
two lines I guess that that would be a possibility too. I'll keep in in
mind.

JJ
2018-08-21 11:10:57 UTC
Did you applied (hand made) anti-aliasing?
R.Wieser
2018-08-21 11:50:16 UTC
JJ,
Post by JJ
Did you applied (hand made) anti-aliasing?
I *think* I did try it. But I'm simply not that much of a graphical artist
(not even on that level) to do such a thing with any kind of confidence.

Though if you know of "anti-aliassed" font-sets of such small dimension I
would not say no to it ofcourse (better copied well than created badly
yourself :-) ).

JJ
2018-08-22 08:31:23 UTC
Post by R.Wieser
Though if you know of "anti-aliassed" font-sets of such small dimension I
would not say no to it ofcourse (better copied well than created badly
yourself :-) ).
Hmm... that reminds me. Walnut Creek CDs sometime have images which contains
pre made characters. Those were used for DOS applications which still uses
320x200 screens, or 640x480 at most. Perhaps you can find one or two from
Internet Archive, but the CD collection is quite many.

Shadow
2018-08-21 15:51:50 UTC
Post by R.Wieser
[...]
Why do the icons have to be so small ?

https://www.iconfinder.com/search/?q=programming&price=free
https://findicons.com/search/programming
http://www.iconarchive.com/
https://dryicons.com/searches

Those are all free, and you can edit them with something from
Aha-soft or Sibcode

http://www.sibcode.com/icon-editor/
http://www.aha-soft.com/iconlover/

(I think they are the same company).
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
R.Wieser
2018-08-21 16:48:07 UTC
Shadow,
Post by Shadow
Why do the icons have to be so small ?
16x16 is the Windows default size for the "list" mode in explorer.

Thanks for those "icon" links. Alas, all of them show VECTOR graphics, and
those scale down to 16x16 (very) badly. :-\

There is a reason that I, at long last, posted my question here. But not
because I could not find websites offering icons. I've found *lots* of
them, but alas, not with the icons I am looking for. :-(