Win10/64 laptop: Floppy drive is B:, want A:!
Harry Potter
2018-10-10 14:46:03 UTC
Hi! I have a laptop running Windows 10 64-bit and am having trouble running the USB floppy drive letter: it is registering as Drive B: instead of Drive A:. I have a lot of batch files and settings that assume it's Drive A:. I don't want to change these settings and batch files but rather switch the drive to A:. I tried the diskmgmt.exe utility, and the drive entry didn't appear. I tried another utility, and IIRC, I got an Access Denied error when I tried to change the drive. Can anybody help me out?
Apd
2018-10-10 18:44:29 UTC
Post by Harry Potter
I have a lot of batch files and settings that assume it's Drive A:.
I don't want to change these settings and batch files but rather
switch the drive to A:.
If you're working from a cmd prompt try this before running them:

subst a: b:\
Harry Potter
2018-10-10 23:11:23 UTC
Post by Apd
subst a: b:\
I use a command prompt and batch files sometimes. Is there a way to do this from within Windows?
R.Wieser
2018-10-11 07:16:15 UTC
Harry,

Don't you think this question would be nuch more at its place in newsgroup
which maches the OS you are using ?

I could give you a solution that would work on my XP machine, but there is a
good chance it won't work for you (on Win 10). The same goes for all kinds
of settings that possibly could be applied to the OS itself.

Which makes me wonder: why did you post in a *programming* newsgroup ?
What did you expect we could do for you ?

P.s.
There is a possibility that you can either move the A: floppy to B: or even
just remove it altogether (as your laptop does not have a floppy drive) in
the computers BIOS.

P.p.s.
A quick (less than 5 min) google search (for "win 10 change floppy drive
letter" - moving A: to B: makes place for a new A: ) landed me on the below
page. Maybe you can use it

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/60125-45-change-floppy-drive-letters-disk-management-doesn
Uwe Sieber
2018-10-11 07:11:01 UTC
Post by Harry Potter
Hi! I have a laptop running Windows 10 64-bit and am having trouble running the USB floppy drive letter: it is registering as Drive B: instead of Drive A:. I have a lot of batch files and settings that assume it's Drive A:. I don't want to change these settings and batch files but rather switch the drive to A:. I tried the diskmgmt.exe utility, and the drive entry didn't appear. I tried another utility, and IIRC, I got an Access Denied error when I tried to change the drive. Can anybody help me out?
Open a command prompt as administrator. Enter
mountvol
Copy the complete volume name of drive B:. Then
mountvol b: /d
mountvol a: <paste the volume name here>

If you prefer a GUI:
https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdriveinfo.html

Start usbdriveinfo.exe as admin, right-click B: -> Drive Letter -> Change to A:

If you want to code it with Win32:
GetVolumeNameForVolumeMountPoint
SetVolumeMountPoint

Uwe
Harry Potter
2018-10-11 11:44:48 UTC
It worked. Thank you! :)
JJ
2018-10-11 15:15:30 UTC
Post by Harry Potter
Hi! I have a laptop running Windows 10 64-bit and am having trouble
instead of Drive A:. I have a lot of batch files and settings that
assume it's Drive A:. I don't want to change these settings and batch
files but rather switch the drive to A:. I tried the diskmgmt.exe
utility, and the drive entry didn't appear. I tried another utility, and
IIRC, I got an Access Denied error when I tried to change the drive. Can
anybody help me out?
This task requires administrator priviledges, so run the tool using
Administrator. i.e. right-click then choose "Run as Administrator".

If the tool can't do it, try using ReMount from:
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/drivetools_e.html

With Windows alone (no third party tools; no additional download), you'll
have to edit the registry. Either using Registry Editor, or by using the REG
tool.

A. Change the device mount points registry
1. Go to this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
2. Find the value whose name is: \DosDevices\A:
3. If it exists, delete it. Otherwise, continue to next step.
4. Find the value whose name is: \DosDevices\B:
5. Rename the value to: \DosDevices\A:

B. Refresh the floppy disk device
1. Open the Device Manager.
2. Locate the "Floppy disk drive" leaf node.
It should be found under the "Floppy disk drives" branch node.
If not, check under USB device nods.
3. Disable the device.
4. Enable it again.

With Windows Resource Kit's DEVCON tool, the device refreshing part can be
done from the command line.
Harry Potter
2018-10-11 22:58:18 UTC
I thank you, but I got it to work. As you mentioned, the task requires Administrator privileges. I've been neglecting to do that until now, so it's my fault I couldn't do this before. :(