Registry and other Win32 API errors list?
Harry Potter
2018-11-04 19:11:12 UTC
I am debugging a program to help C programmers and need a list of errors as returned by WinAPI C functions. Where can I get one? I use but admittedly didn't search the MSDN.
Harry Potter
2018-11-04 19:32:27 UTC
Never mind. I got the program to work, but it would still be nice to know the error names from error codes. And, I found the function to get the error name. For my own use, it's FormatMessage(). :)
JJ
2018-11-05 12:07:38 UTC
Post by Harry Potter
Post by Harry Potter
I am debugging a program to help C programmers and need a list of errors
as returned by WinAPI C functions. Where can I get one? I use but
admittedly didn't search the MSDN.
Never mind. I got the program to work, but it would still be nice to
know the error names from error codes. And, I found the function to get
the error name. For my own use, it's FormatMessage(). :)
There's an `Error Lookup` tool from Visual Studio. By default, it can only
lookup error codes from DLLs which are mandatory. e.g. KERNEL32. To make it
able to lookup WININET's error codes, the DLL must be added into the tool's
module list.
Harry Potter
I don't have Visual Studio. I have Open Watcom. :(
R.Wieser
2018-11-05 12:19:38 UTC
Harry,
Post by Harry Potter
I use but admittedly didn't search the MSDN.
Just throw the (hexa-)decimal code into Google together with the word
"error" and you will probably get the explanation, as well as other peoples
experiences with it.

But why don't you make a small program that will accept an error value, call
that FormatMessage function with it, and than display the result ?

Harry Potter
2018-11-05 15:43:19 UTC
Post by R.Wieser
Just throw the (hexa-)decimal code into Google together with the word
"error" and you will probably get the explanation, as well as other peoples
experiences with it.
Thanks! :)
Post by R.Wieser
But why don't you make a small program that will accept an error value, call
that FormatMessage function with it, and than display the result ?
I didn't think o that. Thanks! :)