Win16 16-color wallpaper?
Harry Potter
2018-09-09 18:48:55 UTC
Namely, I'm looking for some. I recently installed Windows 3.1 on an old 486DX4/75MHz laptop and am looking to decorate the GUI with some cool wallpaper, screen savers and icons. Now, the laptop has only VGA and no sound card, so I am limited in my choices. Where online can I find them?
Harry Potter
2018-09-09 19:13:22 UTC
In addition, how about some Win16 ftp sites? I tried Google but didn't find them. :(
JJ
2018-09-10 15:18:36 UTC
Walnut Creek CD-ROM archives from Internet Archive.
R.Wieser
2018-09-10 17:15:40 UTC
Harry,
Now, the laptop has only VGA ... , so I am limited in my choices
VGA normally supports 256 colors, so you're not *that* limited.

Also, you could see if you could convert some of the wallpapers you already
have-and-like to 256 colors (using good-old paint).

As for where you can find them (wallpapers, screensavers, icons) on the
intarwebz ? I take it you're trying your good-old "ask first, put effort
into it myself only if that fails" tactic, as I could find both wallpapers
and screensavers on the first try, first page of google results (less than 2
minutes total).

For the icons it might get "complicated" though : you might have to remove
any other resolution than 16x16x16 and 32x23x16 from the icons you like
(icons normally contain, as you might already know, different sizes and
color depths of the same image).

Also, if-and-when you already googles for yourself and found a few, don't
you think it would be a good idea to mention those, so you do not get
offered the same ones again ? Ofcourse, it would also double as proof that
you actually searched yourself before asking us ...

Harry Potter
2018-09-10 19:50:34 UTC
Post by R.Wieser
VGA normally supports 256 colors, so you're not *that* limited.
Yes, but not in hi-res mode. :(
Post by R.Wieser
Also, you could see if you could convert some of the wallpapers you already
have-and-like to 256 colors (using good-old paint).
I could do that--if Paint is capable of dithering to 16 colors.
Post by R.Wieser
As for where you can find them (wallpapers, screensavers, icons) on the
intarwebz ? I take it you're trying your good-old "ask first, put effort
into it myself only if that fails" tactic, as I could find both wallpapers
and screensavers on the first try, first page of google results (less than 2
minutes total).
I tried but couldn't find it. Of course, I ignored the images as I didn't like any of them. I should try again....
Post by R.Wieser
For the icons it might get "complicated" though : you might have to remove
any other resolution than 16x16x16 and 32x23x16 from the icons you like
(icons normally contain, as you might already know, different sizes and
color depths of the same image).
That would work....
Again, I tried it. I'd better try again.
Harry Potter
2018-09-10 19:55:03 UTC
Thank you, :) and sorry for the stupid post! :( I looked at the images this time and found a good pic. :)
Harry Potter
2018-09-10 20:24:54 UTC
Post by Harry Potter
Thank you, :) and sorry for the stupid post! :( I looked at the images this time and found a good pic. :)
It was Anime, and I like Anime. :D I am also interested in Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Astronomy, cartoons, games and rich stuff. By rich stuff I mean stuff heavy on the graphics (i.e. lots of color and what my mother calls "busy").

BTW, I couldn't find any icons so far. :(
R.Wieser
2018-09-11 07:56:32 UTC
Harry,
Post by Harry Potter
Yes, but not in hi-res mode. :(
That fully depends on what you call "hi- res". My first 'puter was a 286,
and it came with a VGA adapter which, IIRC, went upto 1024x768 with 16-bit
colors. Though for a Win 3.1 (DOS) era computer I would call 640x480 with
256 colors "hi-res".
Post by Harry Potter
By rich stuff I mean stuff heavy on the graphics (i.e. lots of color
I hope you do realize that your 16-color (really?) display means that you
won't be able to find images like that for it. Especially when you're
accustomed to 32-bit colors (on a 1600x1200 display) ...
Post by Harry Potter
BTW, I couldn't find any icons so far. :(
Well, I just googled for "icons 16x16", and got promising hits ...

The question is if you are looking for *specific* icons, and (thus) are
rejecting all that do not match it (but forgot to mention such specifics)

But if you really can't find any website with icons I gues you could take a
peek here: http://www.iconarchive.com/

Though you do need to realize that the icons you are trying to find are
rather out-of-date (Win 3.1 is about 25 years old)

Harry Potter
2018-09-11 11:31:58 UTC
Post by R.Wieser
Harry,
Post by Harry Potter
Yes, but not in hi-res mode. :(
That fully depends on what you call "hi- res". My first 'puter was a 286,
and it came with a VGA adapter which, IIRC, went upto 1024x768 with 16-bit
colors. Though for a Win 3.1 (DOS) era computer I would call 640x480 with
256 colors "hi-res".
I have max. 640x480x16 color. :(
Post by Harry Potter
BTW, I couldn't find any icons so far. :(
Well, I just googled for "icons 16x16", and got promising hits ...
The question is if you are looking for *specific* icons, and (thus) are
rejecting all that do not match it (but forgot to mention such specifics)
No. I just want something exciting and useful.
Post by R.Wieser
But if you really can't find any website with icons I gues you could take a
peek here: http://www.iconarchive.com/
Thanks! :)
You're right. I'm after making the DOS laptop useful--even though it is only useful for *installing* software. :(
Kaz Kylheku
2018-09-10 19:16:23 UTC
Post by Harry Potter
Namely, I'm looking for some. I recently installed Windows 3.1 on an
old 486DX4/75MHz laptop and am looking to decorate the GUI with some
cool wallpaper, screen savers and icons. Now, the laptop has only VGA
and no sound card, so I am limited in my choices. Where online can I
find them?
Find whatever image you like, then dither it down to 16 element indexed
color with GIMP or whatever?
Harry Potter
2018-09-11 11:42:55 UTC
I'd better create my own icons.... :(