ActiveX and user-defined error messages. Possible ?
2018-01-29 11:02:32 UTC
Hello All,

I'm busy creating an ActiveX component, and have a few methods for wich I
would like to show a user-defined error message.

The question is, is that at all possible for and ActiveX component (being
created from VBScript)? Or am I locked to a set of predefined ones ?

I did try to google it, but could not find the right keyword combination to
get anything near what I wanted to know (but did get kicked onto a "odd
search trafic" page ...)

By the way, I know I can just create a message box showing whatever message
I want. But that would mean that an error than gets *two* error message
boxes, one created by me, and one created by the system - which is not
really what I would like to have.

JJ
2018-01-29 21:37:21 UTC
Post by R.Wieser
Hello All,
I'm busy creating an ActiveX component, and have a few methods for wich I
would like to show a user-defined error message.
The question is, is that at all possible for and ActiveX component (being
created from VBScript)? Or am I locked to a set of predefined ones ?
I did try to google it, but could not find the right keyword combination to
get anything near what I wanted to know (but did get kicked onto a "odd
search trafic" page ...)
By the way, I know I can just create a message box showing whatever message
I want. But that would mean that an error than gets *two* error message
boxes, one created by me, and one created by the system - which is not
really what I would like to have.
I think that would be ISupportErrorInfo, ICreateErrorInfo, and IErrorInfo.

<https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms221510(v=vs.85).aspx>

A sample on MSDN:

<https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms221186(v=vs.85).aspx>
R.Wieser
2018-01-30 08:58:08 UTC
JJ,
Post by JJ
I think that would be ISupportErrorInfo, ICreateErrorInfo, and IErrorInfo.
Whith my thanks for that, and the link to that "hello" example.

Looking at the obove objects it seems that the originator of the message
only seems to need the ICreateErrorInfo for my current situation. Which is
something I have no problems with. :-)