Disable virtual floppy driver on Win98?
Harry Potter
2018-05-12 12:53:13 UTC
How do I disable the virtual floppy driver on a Win98 system? I want to install 2M, a DOS driver to increase floppy capacity, on it. I think the extra capacity is worth the slight slowdown of DOS compatibility. Besides, IIRC, I think the hard drive is in DOS compatibility mode. :(
JJ
2018-05-12 22:39:16 UTC
The 2M documentation already mention that matter.
Harry Potter
2018-05-13 05:27:44 UTC
I tried the instructions before. It didn't work. IIRC, the computer locked up as soon as I tried to access a floppy. :(
JJ
2018-05-13 13:16:45 UTC
Does it still froze the computer if 2M is not loaded?
Harry Potter
2018-05-13 13:34:13 UTC
I have to check.
Harry Potter
2018-05-13 13:45:37 UTC
Post by Harry Potter
I have to check.
I just checked. The computer starts very slowly, and, when I try to access the drive, I get an error message saying the drive is not available. Of course, I simply disabled the driver in the Driver Manager.
JJ
2018-05-14 08:18:47 UTC
Post by Harry Potter
Post by Harry Potter
I have to check.
I just checked. The computer starts very slowly, and, when I try to
access the drive, I get an error message saying the drive is not
available. Of course, I simply disabled the driver in the Driver
Manager.
Well, the 2M documentations did mention that 2M under Windows 9x will be
very slow, and it may cause the system to lock up. Maybe didn't wait long
enough? Try to listen to the floppy drive motor activity.
Harry Potter
2018-05-14 17:24:43 UTC
Never mind, then. I really wanted the extra space, though. :(